Mesothelioma in electrical workers
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that is caused by asbestos. Many people who develop mesothelioma were exposed in the workplace, including electrical workers. Some former electricians in Louisville may have developed mesothelioma as a result.
In past decades, asbestos was widely used in buildings because it helps prevent fires. Since fires may originate in circuit breakers, wiring and other electrical components, it was often part of this equipment. Asbestos was used as insulation for electrical wiring and in switch gears and electrical control boards. In large plants, asbestos was used in explosion-proof compounds. Asbestos was cheap to manufacture and was widely considered safe in the construction and electrical industries. However, companies that manufactured asbestos reportedly knew that it was unsafe.
Tiny fibers of asbestos dust can enter the body through the lungs or mouth, and when it does so, it can move to the linings of the heart, abdominal cavity or lungs. These sharp fibers can damage the linings’ cells, and this leads to mesothelioma. For many years, workers were exposed to asbestos and were unaware of how harmful it could be. Even though asbestos has become less commonly used, electricians working in older buildings on cable or wires could be exposed. Mesothelioma can be treated, but these treatments are expensive. However, some former workers have taken legal action and received substantial compensation.
People who are suffering from mesothelioma or other asbestos-related illnesses or a cancer diagnosis that they believe is related to their employment might want to contact an attorney. People who are exposed to asbestos or other harmful substances in the workplace that causes illness may be able to obtain compensation. This might help pay for medical expenses and make up for lost income that results from the illness. The compensation may be critical in supporting individuals and their families.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!