Steps To Take After A Serious Accident
There are certain steps you should take to protect your right to compensation after a serious accident. There are also certain missteps you should avoid. Mistakes made early in the process can be difficult to correct later.
At Satterley & Kelley PLLC, in Louisville, Kentucky, we offer a free initial consultation to explain your rights and answer your questions. Contact us today to speak to a lawyer.
Here are steps you should take:
- Report the accident to police.
- Lend assistance to anyone needing medical care, if you are able.
- Take pictures of the accident scene and vehicle damage (or ask someone else to).
- Get names and phone numbers of any witnesses.
- Get medical care, even if you do not feel seriously injured. You may not feel injuries until later.
- Follow up on medical care to ensure you recover as fully as possible.
- Call us for a free initial consultation.
Here are missteps you should avoid:
- Making a recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance company (your statements can be used against you)
- Posting on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other social media sites (your posts can be taken to mean things you never intended)
- Signing a release form without legal advice (don’t give up your rights)
- Accepting a settlement without legal advice (don’t accept less than you deserve)
- Toughing out an injury (the insurance company will not believe you are injured if you don’t seek treatment or if you discontinue treatment)
Speak To A Car Accident Attorney Today
You do not have to deal with a car accident alone. You have rights and options, and our skilled attorneys can help you understand what they are. To take advantage of a free initial consultation at our Louisville office, call 502-589-5600 or toll-free at 855-385-9532. You may also complete our contact form if it’s more convenient.